FAQ about Synergistic Acne Scar Treatment
Q: What is the fastest way to treat rolling scars, deep boxcar scars and volume loss?
Q: What is PRP Biofiller?
PRP Biofiller uses a gel derived from your own blood, helping to eliminate the risk of side-effects. It is ideal for vegans or people who suffer from allergies. The gel adds plumpness to areas that have lost volume, while smoothing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is also used for acne scar treatments to prevent rolling acne scars from coming back. A crucial benefit of this treatment is that it also stimulates the stem cells and growth factors that produce collagen
How is PRP Biofiller different from Hyaluronic Acid Gel Filler?
PRP is all natural with no additives since it is produced on the same time as your treatment. It's volumizing effect softens in 3-6 months, unlike hyaluronic acid filler which lasts for 9-12 months.
How long does the treatment take to work?
You will notice a visible improvement immediately after the treatment. After two months, the gel is naturally and completely absorbed into the treated area.
How many treatments are needed?
Initially, we suggest you have a course of three sessions with a four-week interval. The results last for about two years after the third session if it is combined with PRP serum injections.
Q: What treatment is recommended for icepick and shallow boxcar scars?
RF Fractional Microneedling with 100% TCA CROSS. Optional add-on to this treatment is PRP or Calecim serum.
Q: What is RF FRACTIONAL MICRONEEDLING (RFM)?RFM delivers the desired energy through gold plated insulated needles that penetrate the skin to a predetermined desired depth. By delivering heat energy from RF to dermis, RFM encourages collagen growth and tissue tightening without harming the epidermis.
Q: What is SUBCISION?
💉 Treatment: Subcision
👩⚕️ Purpose: Subcision is a minor surgical procedure used for treating depressed cutaneous scars and wrinkles.
🔎 Procedure: Subcision is performed using a special needle or cannula inserted through a puncture in the skin surface. The sharp edge of the needle is used to break fibrotic strands that are tethering the scar to the underlying tissue. The release of the fibrotic strands and new collagen deposition caused by wound healing leads to cosmetic improvement of the scar.
🙋♀️ Patient selection: The decision to perform subcision will depend on the type, location, and severity of scarring; patient preference and expectations; and clinician experience and expectations.
Subcision may be used for the treatment of:
• Depressed distensile scars (due to acne, trauma, surgery )
• Depressed bound down scars (due to acne*, varicella(chickenpox), trauma, surgery )
• *excluding deep ice-pick scars
• Acne scars - Rolling scars
❌Subcision may not be suitable in the following circumstances:
• Patients with a history of hypertrophic or keloid scars
• Current or recent (within 12 months) systemic oral retinoid (eg acitretin, isotretinoin)
• Bleeding or blood clotting disorders (coagulopathy)
• Active bacterial or viral infection
The risks and complications of subcision include:
1. Haematoma due to bleeding (a small haematoma is normal)
2. Pain/tenderness of treated site
3. Infection; this usually presents as localised acneform papule or pustule
4. Temporary post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation(advise sun protection/avoidance)
5. Sub-optimal response or lack of improvement in scarring
6. Injury to nerve or blood vessel, which is most likely in mandibular, temporal and pre-auricular sites
Q: What is TCA CROSS?
TCA CROSS (Chemical Reconstruction of Skin Scars) procedure involves depositing small amounts of high concentration TCA (70–100%) onto the surface of the acne scar. This causes a mild inflammatory reaction resulting in the formation of new collagen fibers.
Most patients require 3 to 6 treatments with TCA CROSS for optimum improvement. Treatments may be repeated at 2 to 8 week intervals over 6 months and may be combined with other treatment modalities for best results.
Q: What is PRP?
PRP treatment or Vampire Facial is the hottest trend in acne scar treatment and skin rejuvenation. It was made popular by Kim Kardashian who underwent the treatment for skin rejuvenation. It involves extracting a small amount of blood from you, which is then spun down in a centrifuge to separate the plasma. This plasma now contains a higher than normal number of platelets and is called platelet rich plasma, or PRP.
Why Platelets Rejuvenate Skin
Platelets are the cells in the blood that help tissue to heal and grow new cells. The PRP, injected into specific areas of the skin, is like a fertilizer that promotes your own collagen to grow, regenerates tissue, and thus acts as to naturally smooth and tighten the skin. In this way, PRP softens wrinkles and creating smoother skin texture and tone.
Q: What is CALECIM SERUM?
Q: How many SESSIONS of acne scar treatment do I need?The rate of improvement / number of sessions will depend on several factors like age, skin type, scar type, immunity and home care regimen. For rolling type of scars, improvement is generally seen after 2-3 sessions of Synergistic Acne Scar Treatment, while for boxcar and icepick scars, improvement is normally seen after 3-6 sessions. The more sessions you undergo, the better is the improvement, with up to 90% improvement after completing 5-10 sessions.
Q: What is the DOWNTIME of the treatment?
Q: What is the treatment INTERVAL?
Q: What SKINCARE REGIMEN do I need after treatment?
- apply cold compress during the 1st 24 hours after subcision; then warm compress on the following day
- Use the recommended skincare regimen
- May start applying makeup after the 3rd day
- May exercise after the 3rd day
- Rub or use rough towel during the 1st week
- Expose under the sun for long periods of time
- Eat salty and fishy (malansa) when you have swelling